The definition of witness is:
Attesting to a fact, a person who gives evidence of something specific, one who testifies, one who has personal knowledge of something, and to give public affirmation.
To witness for the Lord is to tell others these POWERFUL bible scriptures:
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
Matthew 4:17 From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.”
1 Corinthians 15:3-4 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
Romans 10:9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
- You should tell others that God loves you and gave up His only Son for you so you can have eternal life.
- That you have sin in your life and fall way short of God’s glory and holiness.
- That you need to be real sorry and repent of your sin.
- That Jesus was born of a virgin mother, died, was buried and rose again from the dead for you.
- You need to declare this and believe in Jesus Christ so you can have eternal life.
This is the bible basics of our faith. These are the things that Jesus and the disciples testified about. If these few scriptures were all you knew about your faith (and I hope this is not the case) and you went out and preached these scriptures you could turn this world upside down. We should be doing this! But are we?
Witnessing is testifying about what God has done for you and you telling others about the remarkable facts of salvation.
Why should we do this?
How should we do this?
The why..…The #1 reason is…. BECAUSE THE LORD ASKED US TO IN HIS WORD!!!!!!
Matthew 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, (This is God’s will for our lives)
God doesn’t need us to work for Him but He is giving us an opportunity to serve Him for our benefit as well as for others. He could’ve taken us home right after salvation but God chose to use us to bless others with the same opportunity that was afforded us.
The how….How requires 2 separate parts.
1. The first part of this answer is with the power of the Holy Spirit. He’s at the forefront of witnessing because He is the one who has already been speaking to that person’s heart to convict them of their sin and to accept Jesus. So depending on where that person is at in the process of seeking answers in their life is where you fit in. They may be ripe for the pickings or they might be at the beginning of the surrendering process. You have no way of knowing so just be available to the Lord.
2. The second part is that we should have a plan on how we will witness or testify of the Lords goodness and plan of salvation for their life.
There are many ways to do this such as:
- Straight up approaching someone directly and doing a one on one approach.
- Going out with an evangelistic group and doing things like street ministry.
- Casually using a friendship or relationship that you have with someone to get close enough with them until the Holy Spirit leads you to talk about the good news of the Gospel.
- Committing to praying for a person’s salvation.
- Using tracts
All Christians should have a plan to be a witness for the Lord. It’s not an easy thing to do in today’s world but there is a way and we must be ready and prepared. We must work in cooperation with the Holy Spirit. We should know the basic reason for our faith. We should be prayerful. We should be bold but not pushy.
I use to have a great deal of fear about witnessing but now I’m not fearful anymore. When I think about the eternal future of my fellow-man I feel I great compassion. Now that I’m older and see my time quickly passing, I want to spend the rest of my life making a difference in others’ lives so that they can have a chance for eternal life. So I figured out the witnessing style that works best for me and I have tried to perfect it. Allow me to share the way I approach sharing my faith with others.
I call my way…”The Pamphlet”
Many years ago my way of witnessing was to wear my “I love Jesus button” every single time I stepped out my house. I had religious stickers on the bumper of my car. I was also armed with gospel tracts that I bought from a Christian bookstore. I did this for many years until one day the Lord told me not to use those things anymore. It’s not that there was anything wrong with them. The Lord said it was time for me to let my light shine. It was time for me to speak up about my faith. I was like…”YOU WANT ME TO DO WHAT GOD?” I felt like God pushed me into a crowd of people and said go for it. I did tell God that I was available so I happily obliged Him. I did street witnessing with another church member every Saturday for a year. That was real nerve-wracking, but the more I did it the better I got. I gave out a lot of pre-made gospel tracks but I felt it wasn’t my story so I wrote my own personal story about my life and how I became a Christian. My wonderful husband made it into a pamphlet for me.
So what I do is I strike up a conversation with anybody about anything like the weather or that I like their handbag. When I finish talking I say this…” I’ve been through a lot and this is my story”. They take my pamphlet and say thank you. This works every time!!! I’ve given out 2,500 pamphlets and I just purchased a new box of 1,000 more. I leave them in stores and waiting rooms and I put them on bulletin boards… just everywhere I can. I’ve written a few different ones like one on my battle with depression and suicide and how God healed me.
Everyone has a story and there’s nobody better to tell it than you! You should testify of God’s goodness of how He got you though that hard time and the story of your salvation. This could be your way of being a witness for the Lord. Will you take some steps to prepare yourself to be a better witness? Will you think about it and write your story or do any other thing to spread the gospel?